Friday, January 8, 2010

Wintersleep- Weighty Ghost | Once Over Review


Here's a sweet Canadian band I just recently came across. Apparently the band's been around since 2001, so I'm not claiming to be breaking any new ground here or anything. HOWEVER, I figured because I didn't know about them, other people probably didn't.

Now thats some air-tight logic.

Why Wintersleep. Or more importantly, Weighty Ghost.

Lets start this the fact that the acoustic guitar literally plays the same two chords ALL SONG! I've written music most of my life and let me tell you, to sit down with two chords and write an entire song from it is as ballsy as it is genius. In other words, this song gets into you. It connects right out the gate. Its accessible, and its hard not to move you head a little to it.

To me, this song is an Anthem to the Broken. To anyone who has ever wondered what happened to the person they used to be. Which is everyone, by the way. If you've never felt that at some point you must be younger that 14. Give it a year or two, you'll get it.

Also, three things everyone will like about this song:

1. Gang Singing

2. Na, na, na's

3. Background Clappers

Everyone loves the clap.

And, three things people might not like about this song.

1. Gang Singing

2. Na, na, na's

3. Background Clappers

Anyway, this song is contagious and I encourage you to go infect people with it. I love hearing good Canadian music, especially when it kind of sounds Canadian, you know? Can I say this sounds Canadian? Well I just did.

By the way, I realize I'm 2 for 2 in giving good reviews out in my blogs, but don't worry, I'm not going to stroke everyones ego's.

Just the ones who pay me.

HA, I wish. But seriously, I'm gonna go to town on Donny F'n Darko next week. So stay tuned.

Cheers




No comments:

Post a Comment